Monday, August 24, 2009

...Adam?



So I guess I should talk about what I thought of the movie, Adam. I'm not gonna explain about the gist of the movie anymore.

Aw, what the hell...why not one more time? (I'll even give you a link to the trailer)

It's about a guy with Asperger Syndrome who lives in a flat in NYC. Then, a cute female teacher/writer moves into the same building. She's a NeuroTypical, or NT. They bump into each other, start talking, romance ensues.

It was an okay movie overall. The pacing was choppy, but the acting was convincing. The cinematography was nice. I like when movies set in NYC make the city seem small and cozy, when we all know that it really isn't.

I really liked the clothes that the two main characters wore. I don't know why I feel compelled to mention that...

Let's see--the plot was a bit contrived and at times it seemed like an infomercial as most of the characters didn't know what AS is, exactly, and there were a lot of explanations that seemed forced. I mean, I guess that's how most people are, in reality. Can't blame you all, I mean--my gosh--I'd heard the term "Asperger" once in my whole life before I even realized I had it.

I don't want to give away too many spoilers for my friends who haven't seen the film yet. But then again, there are lots of people who will never see it and I don't blame them. It seems like a film that only Aspies or NT's who happen to love an Aspie would be interested in seeing.

Let me just say that, in my opinion, the writers/actors went a bit overboard with the main character's display of Aspie symptoms. That's just my own opinion, though, based on my own experience. Yes, I have real difficulty with looking people in the eye, but I don't want to believe that it looks as awkward as it did in the movie. I suppose it probably does. I don't have trouble going out to restaurants, though, at least when I'm with someone else. I don't eat the same thing every day. I can tell when someone else is sad or tired or angry. Well...truthfully, I can tell when something isn't right with another person. But, like Adam, I don't always know what to do. I don't know if a hug is appropriate or if someone just wants to vent. I don't know when a hug is too much. And anyway, to be honest, I don't much like to receive hugs or pats on the head or things like that. I'm touch sensitive. That means I really, really don't like to be touched unless I'm VERY close to a person. I do get really uncomfortable at parties and at the mall etc. But that's actually because I'm noise sensitive, too. Crowds of people sound like a buzzing beehive to me and it actually hurts my ears and upsets me. But I have learned to just deal with it most of the time, I make a face and wrinkle my nose, but I keep doing whatever I'm supposed to be doing because the world doesn't stop just because I am uncomfortable.

I do have a problem with talking on and on about my "special interest". Most of the time that would be LOST. Thank God for all the people I've met online that also love LOST. I would have driven my husband insane if it wasn't for you all. He's so sick of LOST now. It's sad. He used to love that show. I have also learned to just be quiet most of the time instead of boring people. I can't tell when people are sick of hearing me talk about something, so I just don't say anything at all. That scene with Adam having lunch outside with his friend, he keeps going on and on about astronomy and his friend stops him at least twice to change the subject but Adam doesn't get it or doesn't care. My husband nudged me during that scene. Yeah, jackass, I get it.

Don't ever ask me about Eclipses again, 'cause whatever I know, I'm not gonna tell ya!

Oh...eclipses are another thing I obsess about. See a previous blog if you want to know about all my other strange obsessions...

Another problem I have with this movie is that the climax is basically Adam finding out that his girlfriend lied to him about something really trivial and he throws a fullblown dragout hissy fit. I don't do that either. I don't get that angry when people lie to me, because I just expect people to lie. It's what we do.

I think what bugs me the most is that:

the movie implied that all Aspies tend to be atheists, that we never show emotions, that we can never have a solid relationship with an NT, that we can never really empathize with others, that we don't fit in and never will and that we're all tragedies that will never truly be happy. Some of the things that Adam did--yes, I can say I have done things like that (hit myself/hurt myself, get so frustrated that I cry, throw a fit and destroy another's property)...WHEN I WAS A LITTLE KID. But Adam is 29. I'm also 29. I don't throw fits any more. I don't destroy other people's things 'cause I'm upset. I don't hit my head against the wall or try to cut myself any more. I'm probably a bit too outspoken, but I try my hardest not to be a rude jerk. I don't cry much, but it happens. When my cousin was killed in the line of duty, and I attended his funeral, I stood there bawling like a baby. I don't even know what came over me. It just happened. I'm happily married to an NT and we have trouble communicating sometimes, but I love him and he loves me. And I try really hard to show that I love him, I don't want to seem as cold as they made Adam seem. I can survive on my own, I did for a while. It was hard, but I did it. I just don't want people to get scared about this portrayal of a person with AS, and imagine that we are all so unreliable or immature or temperamental.

Some of us really just want to fit in and understand the NT mind, the way it works, how you live and think and feel. Not that I necessarily want to change who and what I am, but we could all just try to understand and appreciate each other.



One last thing....seeing Adam in that Space suit really made me want to buy a DHARMA jumpsuit and wear it around the house. Just for...ya know...cleanin' and whatnot. ;)

2 comments:

monica said...

A Dharma jumpsuit would be lovely! I still really want to see this movie. I have a friend who wants to see it with me..and her daughter went and saw it with a group of friends..all of whom liked it. Hollywood has a tendency to take a topic such as this and make it cutsie or silly..or just plain after school special-y. It sounds like they did a respectable job. Having your unique perspective of actually having this syndrome is bound to make you a tough customer.

I'm glad I found you (I guess I was directed to you by The Great Orange One) online back when you were writing those beautiful blogs about LOST..I love reading about your "special interests" whatever they may be..you've got impecable taste. Thanks!

Kelly De La Torre said...

I will get that jumpsuit by the end of the year. I warned my husband about it already. Don't be surprised if I wear it out of the house! So go see that movie, it's not bad. I'm just too critical of everything. And of course, nobody will take it too literally and that's a good thing. Oh, Mon--those LOST blogs were my greatest LOSTie achievement. I'm flirting with the idea of writing them again...